Upcoming ACA Reporting Deadlines
Affordable Care Act (ACA) reporting under Section 6055 and Section 6056 for the 2021 calendar year is due in early 2022. Specifically, reporting entities must:
- Furnish statements to individuals by March 2, 2022; and
- File returns with the IRS by Feb. 28, 2022 (or March 31, 2022, if filing electronically).
Penalties may apply for reporting entities that fail to file and furnish required returns and statements by the deadline.
A proposed rule issued on Nov. 22, 2021, extended the annual furnishing deadlines under both Sections 6055 and 6056 for an additional 30 days. This rule is in proposed form and has not been finalized. However, reporting entities may rely on the proposed rule for 2021 reporting, even before it is finalized. Reporting entities are generally encouraged to furnish statements to individuals as soon as they are able.
- Furnishing Deadline
- A proposed rule extended the deadline for furnishing 2021 statements to individuals. Taxpayers may rely on the proposal for 2021 reporting. The due date for filing with the IRS is unchanged.
- Furnishing under Section 6055
- The proposed rule also provides an alternative method for furnishing statements to individuals under Section 6055. The proposal generally requires statements to be provided upon request only.
Read the entire compliance overview for all important dates, highlights, action steps, alternative methods, and more.
This content is not intended to be exhaustive, nor should it be viewed as legal or tax advice. Information presented is believed to be current and is provided for general information and educational purposes based upon publicly available information from sources believed to be reliable. We cannot assure the accuracy or completeness of this information. It is not intended as a thorough, in-depth analysis of specific issues, nor a substitute for a formal opinion, nor is it sufficient to avoid any penalties. You should always consult an attorney or tax professional regarding your specific legal or tax situation. This information may change at any time and without notice.
© Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.